
The first contractor got here at 9:30. His partner arrived at 11. They refused to start work, claiming the floors we ordered weren't installable the way we'd planned. It took until noon to clear things up via panicked calls to Home Depot.
Meanwhile, Future Papa, my poor dad, and myself were stuffed in our living room.


Still, the contractors did a good job on what they got done, and the floor is gorgeous, especially compared with the original, painted-over stuff.

But the only room that is completely finished is the bedroom. It looks totally different.




The workers were able to go underneath our appliances today, without uninstalling them, so we can get an idea of how the floors will look with the kitchen cabinets. While the contractors will return in the morning to finish the job, they will also charge us a hefty $250 "Manhattan trip fee" for the second day. We, of course, will contest it.
After the workers left, FP and my dad tried to roll the dishwasher back into place. However, they did not latch the dishwasher's front door ... or unload the clean dishes inside. With a crash, the door hurled open, spewing an entire rack of wedding china across the cleared-out living-room floor!

Dear readers, you know that I am very rarely speechless. But I must have stared dumbly at that wedding china for a good 15 seconds.
The above photo shows how far the rack rolled. Miraculously, the china was fine -- though sadly, my grandmother's 1950s glass mixing bowl was irreparably cracked. I am just glad I insisted on registering for restaurant-grade, chip-resistant china.
Right now FP is taking a well-deserved nap while we wait for the Heroes season finale to start. Everything is stacked into the bedroom, except for the sofa bed ... which is where we will be sleeping tonight.
After the workers left, FP and my dad tried to roll the dishwasher back into place. However, they did not latch the dishwasher's front door ... or unload the clean dishes inside. With a crash, the door hurled open, spewing an entire rack of wedding china across the cleared-out living-room floor!

Dear readers, you know that I am very rarely speechless. But I must have stared dumbly at that wedding china for a good 15 seconds.
The above photo shows how far the rack rolled. Miraculously, the china was fine -- though sadly, my grandmother's 1950s glass mixing bowl was irreparably cracked. I am just glad I insisted on registering for restaurant-grade, chip-resistant china.
Right now FP is taking a well-deserved nap while we wait for the Heroes season finale to start. Everything is stacked into the bedroom, except for the sofa bed ... which is where we will be sleeping tonight.

No comments:
Post a Comment