7.11.2007

Caffeine

As most of you know, I am severely addicted to caffeine. I started taking No-Doz in high school, and the love affair continued from there. So when we decided to get pregnant, I knew I had to give it all up for the good of The Henry.

For over nine months, I gave up caffeine. Decaf soda, bottle-after-bottle of water, maybe the occasional half-caf coffee or tea. That was it.

Then I had the baby.

Rite-Aid and Duane Reade were both having sales on Diet Pepsi Max, a new flavor of Pepsi with twice the caffeine. Proud Papa and I were sleep-deprived. We stocked up.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. Some people break out the tequila after they give birth; I broke out the cola.

It was all well and good until we noticed that TH was acting even fussier than usual. He wouldn't sleep through the night, and he was grumpy all day. Just like his mama, who kept drinking more soda to keep up with him.

See what was going on here?

So now I'm cold-turkey again. I am tired and irritable and have a headache. But TH is sleeping, well, like a baby.

No comments: